|Single by B'z|
|Released||September 1, 2004|
|Promotions||#1 (Athens Olympic Games 2004 Theme)|
#1 (NETWORK SPORTS 2004 Theme)
|B'z singles chronology|
ARIGATO is the thirty-seventh single by B'z, released on September 1, 2004. Prepared and produced ahead of time with the intention of being the band's only single for their first "solo year", that distinction was usurped by the "urgent release" of "BANZAI" a few months earlier. The year would see Koshi Inaba embarking on his first solo tour, Koshi Inaba LIVE 2004 ~en~, and Tak Matsumoto touring with his supergroup consisting of himself, Eric Martin of Mr. Big and Jack Blades of Night Ranger. With their schedules packed in such a way, B'z produced the single well ahead of time with time to make adjustments as was necessary leading up to its September release.
"ARIGATO" shares a distinction with very few other B'z songs in that between its public unveiling and eventual release, it changed significantly. When it was premiered during TV Asahi's sports coverage a few months before release, various parts of the arrangement, lyrics, and general song construction were changed. The lyrics, especially, are almost entirely different for much of the song, with all of the English portions of the final song not yet present. Notably, the melody in the demo version is much different as well. While the final version is melancholy in its own way, the demo has a certain dark and dreary visage that was changed from the studio version. Additionally, the provisional title for the song was "Soko ni Daremo Inakute mo" (Even If There Should Be No One There), a lyric that remains in both the original and final versions of the song.
In its only live performances as part of B'z SHOWCASE 2007 -19-, the song was played one semitone down from the studio version. This is of special interest as this is essentially unprecedented with B'z live works. No reason has been given for this to date, though the performances were very warmly received and were later seen on home video for B'z SHOWCASE 2007 -19- at Zepp Tokyo.
Japanese actor Mirai Moriyama appears as the principal character of the music video that received heavy airplay at the time. It was filmed in Kisarazu, Chiba Prefecture, and between parts of the shoot, the jacket cover art for the single was photographed on location. As mentioned above, the single was used as the theme to TV Asahi sports coverage in 2004. The song's only proper television appearance came during Music Station SUPER LIVE 2004.
Upon release, the single sold 188,000 copies in its first week, earning it the top spot on the Weekly Oricon Singles chart and selling enough to be number one for the month of September 2004 as well. After spending 11 weeks on the charts and being certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of Japan, "ARIGATO" finished 27th in total sales for 2004.
- ARIGATO — THANK YOU
- While it enjoyed a warm reception at the time of release, "ARIGATO" has only once been performed on a tour by the band, during B'z SHOWCASE 2007 -19-. This version would be played down one semitone for unknown reasons. The song has since been collected on two compilation albums as well. It is one of very few B'z songs to be shown in demo form to the public only to be released in an entirely different form when it made it to an album.
- Kagayaku Unmei wa Sono Te no Naka ni — Shining Destiny Within Grasp, 輝く運命はその手の中に
- Mou Hanasanai — Won't Let Go, もうはなさない
- A song prepared in 2002 during the sessions for GREEN, "Mou Hanasanai" was not selected for the album and left for stock. The timing explains the involvement of Billy Sheehan on bass, who had toured with the band and recorded with them at the time. Notably, the song was used as Ending SE for B'z LIVE-GYM 2003 "BIG MACHINE" the year prior. It went unperformed on the live stage for thirteen years prior to being included on select dates for B'z SHOWCASE 2017 -B'z In Your Town-.
|Original Song||Reversion History|
UNRELEASED: ARIGATO [Demo Version]
- ARIGATO [13 SHOWS]
- Kagayaku Unmei wa Sono Te no Naka ni
- Mou Hanasanai [3 SHOWS]
- B'z SHOWCASE 2017 -B'z In Your Town- [3/11 SHOWS]
|No.||Cover||Single||Physical Copies Sold||Chart Positions||Certification|
- Tak Matsumoto: Guitar, Music Composition, Arrangement
- Koshi Inaba: Vocals, Lyric Composition, Arrangement
- Shane Gaalaas: Drums (Tracks 1 & 3)
- Brian Tichy: Drums (Track 2)
- Akihito Tokunaga: Bass (Tracks 1 & 2), Arrangement
- Billy Sheehan: Bass (Track 3)
- Hideyuki Terachi: Arrangement (Track 3)