|Single by B'z|
|Released||May 5, 2004|
|Promotions||#1 (Asahi "Super Dry 2004" CM)|
|B'z singles chronology|
BANZAI is the thirty-sixth single by B'z, released on May 5, 2004. The title song was a non-album single by nature, but would later be found on B'z The Best "Pleasure II" in 2005, B'z The Best "ULTRA Pleasure" in 2008, and B'z The Best XXV 1999-2012 in 2013. Live performances of the song are suitably energetic and capitalize on the inherent singalong sections. "BANZAI" would become a fan-favorite all its own when it reached the live stage the following year during B'z LIVE-GYM 2005 "CIRCLE OF ROCK". It has particularly been performed in highlight slots during B'z LIVE-GYM 2011 -long time no see- and B'z LIVE-GYM Pleasure 2008 -GLORY DAYS-.
The single is especially noteworthy as being labeled an "urgent release decision". This is because both Tak and Koshi were heavily invested in solo activities at the time, with Tak leading his rock supergroup TMG and Koshi working on Peace Of Mind and his first solo tour Koshi Inaba LIVE 2004 ~en~. Initially, B'z intended to only release "ARIGATO" as a single for 2004, but "BANZAI" was considered a strong enough to warrant its own single. However, due to the schedule of their solo activities, no promotional activities or television appearances were made for either single other than "ARIGATO" being played during Music Station at the very end of the year. Further evidence of this being a quick turnaround for release is that the CD jacket materials had already been used in a fan club newsletter a few months prior.
The music video featured the band members and actors with forward-facing camera apparatuses attached following them throughout the video. Unlike nearly every other single by the band, it has never been performed on television. The song was also used as the theme song to a commercial for Asahi's "Super Dry 2004" campaign.
When released, "BANZAI" debuted at number one on the Weekly Oricon Singles charts, having sold over 187,000 physical copies at launch. It charted as the 22nd highest selling single of the year, finishing two spots ahead of the year's other single, "ARIGATO". Now certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of Japan, the single spent a total of 15 weeks on the charts.
- A B'z song known more for its live performances than its studio presence, "BANZAI" is performed with the same power and enthusiasm of other uptempo anthems by the band like "ultra soul". In a Be With! issue at the time of release, the band said they expected the song would have a special power when played live even beyond its presence on CD. Indeed, the song has become a staple of live shows in the years since, with nearly one-hundred performances in its first decade and perhaps its most notable performance coming during B'z LIVE-GYM Pleasure 2008 -GLORY DAYS- and its subsequent home video.
- An upbeat, hopeful hard-rocker of a song, "Magnolia" was paired on short notice with "BANZAI" for this single. The song had been completed for over three years at that point, having been wrapped up during the sessions for "GOLD" in 2001. Modern B'z arranger Hideyuki Terachi was first credited with contributing to arrangement with Tak and Koshi here. The song has only been played live during the seven dates of B'z SHOWCASE 2007 -B'z In Your Town- as a surprise for fans. While that tour was not released on home video, it bears noting that the song has not been forgotten by fans. It has not yet been included on an album, but it barely missed being included on B'z The Best "ULTRA Treasure" after being ranked in at 34. Later, in a 2014 poll whose results were published in Be With! Vol. 104, "Magnolia" ranked in at 12 in songs fanclub members wanted to hear live for the 2015 LIVE-GYM.
- BANZAI [104 SHOWS]
- B'z SHOWCASE 2005 "Abashiri Extra Edition" [1/1 SHOWS]
- B'z LIVE-GYM 2005 "CIRCLE OF ROCK" [41/41 SHOWS]
- B'z SHOWCASE 2007 -19- [6/6 SHOWS]
- B'z SHOWCASE 2007 -B'z In Your Town- [3/7 SHOWS]
- B'z LIVE-GYM 2008 "ACTION" [12/53 SHOWS]
- B'z LIVE-GYM Pleasure 2008 -GLORY DAYS- [6/6 SHOWS]
- B'z SHOWCASE 2009 -B'z In Your Town- [8/8 SHOWS]
- SUMMER SONIC 09 [2/2 SHOWS]
- B'z LIVE-GYM 2011 -long time no see- [3/3 SHOWS]
- B'z Special LIVE at EX THEATER ROPPONGI [1/1 SHOWS]
- 7-Eleven presents B'z PREMIUM LIVE [2/2 SHOWS]
- B'z LIVE-GYM 2017-2018 "LIVE DINOSAUR" [18/18 SHOWS]
- FM802 ROCK FESTIVAL RADIO CRAZY 2017 [1/1 SHOWS]
- Magnolia [7 SHOWS]
- B'z SHOWCASE 2007 -B'z In Your Town- [7/7 SHOWS]
|No.||Cover||Single||Physical Copies Sold||Chart Positions||Certification|
- Tak Matsumoto: Guitar, Music Composition, Arrangement
- Koshi Inaba: Vocals, Lyric Composition, Arrangement
- Shane Gaalaas: Drums (Track 1)
- Hideo Yamaki: Drums (Track 2)
- Akihito Tokunaga: Bass (Track 1)
- Ken Yoshida: Bass (Track 2)