Don't Wanna Lie
|Don't Wanna Lie|
|Single by B'z|
|from the album C'mon|
|Released||June 1, 2011|
|Promotions||#1 (Detective Conan: Quarter of Silence)|
#1 (Detective Conan TV Series)
#2 (NEWS23 Theme)
|B'z singles chronology|
Don't Wanna Lie is the forty-ninth single by B'z, released on June 1, 2011. The song served as the theme to the fifteenth movie in the Detective Conan franchise entitled Quarter of Silence, and also acted as the opening theme of the series' accompanying television anime from April to July. The song was first found on an album with C'mon released one month later, and was collected on a compilation album for the first time with B'z The Best XXV 1999-2012 in 2013.
As had been the case twelve years earlier when "girigiri chop" was used as an opening, footage of the promotional video for "Don't Wanna Lie" featuring B'z themselves was inserted between scenes with characters from the Detective Conan series. The filming of the video itself marked Tak's first project following his win at the 2010 Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. The song would be the first to be used in a Detective Conan feature since 2006's "Yuruginai Mono Hitotsu" appeared as the theme to the tenth installment in the franchise's film series.
Along with others that would also make it onto the band's 2011 studio album, the song was recorded in November 2010. Both the A-side and B-side of the single would be collected on the album and would both be premiered live during B'z LIVE-GYM 2011 -C'mon-. This was the first time since 2006 that both tracks of a single were collected on the proceeding studio album, when "Yuruginai Mono Hitotsu" and its B-side were both collected on MONSTER. As has been the case with other B'z themes in the past, "Don't Wanna Lie" was also collected on a Detective Conan themes compilation. Entitled The Best of Detective Conan 4, the collection was released on December 14, 2012, with "Don't Wanna Lie" serving as the opening track.
Due to the earthquake disaster striking Japan and delaying the release of the album's first single, "Sayonara Kizu Darake no Hibi yo", its follow-up—this single—was announced before the first single could be released. When "Don't Wanna Lie" was released on June 1, it came in two editions: a standard CD version and a CD with DVD combination package, the latter of which came bundled with the promotional video. A third edition was offered to those that purchased both of the other packages and sent in their proofs of purchase. Those that did received a bonus CD featuring "Don't Wanna Lie ~Ballad Version~" and were also entered into a lottery to win one of a hundred special autographed flags akin to the one pictured on the single's cover.
Upon release, the single debuted at number-one on the Weekly Oricon Singles chart and was the band's forty-fifth consecutive to do so. The single finished at the top of the June chart and was the twenty-eighth highest selling of the year.
- Don't Wanna Lie
- Written for the fifteenth Detective Conan movie, Quarter of Silence, "Don't Wanna Lie" was also featured in the franchise's anime series as well. The song was also prepared on the fly alongside "Sayonara Kizu Darake no Hibi yo". Tak said of the preparation of the song: "Since part of it was going to be used to open a TV series and would also be the ending to a movie, I tried to be conscious of the balance to the melody." Additionally, Koshi said the theme behind the lyrics was: "In life's vital moments, we shouldn't lie to ourselves." It was also reported in the August 2011 issue of the Sony Magazine WHAT's IN? that the tentative working title for the song was "Moment of Truth".
- Recorded in November 2010 as part of the recording sessions for C'mon, "Homebound" is a sentimental ballad. Koshi noted that "the lyrics were written after I took a good look at the clock. The scenario of the song came to me as a result of that." To promote the single, the song was used at the closing of broadcasts for TBS program NEWS23.
- Don't Wanna Lie ~Ballad Version~
- Available only to those that purchased both editions of the album and took part in the special campaign. Those that did received this ballad version of the single on a separate mail-order CD. This strings version of the title song has a runtime of 2:17 and ends shortly after the first chorus.
- Limited Edition (CD+DVD):
- 「Don't Wanna Lie」 Music Video
|Original Song||Reversion History|
|Don't Wanna Lie
SINGLE & ALBUM SONG (2011)
RE-RECORDING: Don't Wanna Lie ~Ballad Version~ (2011)
- Don't Wanna Lie [28 SHOWS]
- Homebound [27 SHOWS]
|No.||Cover||Single||Physical Copies Sold||Chart Positions||Certification|
Don't Wanna Lie
- Tak Matsumoto: Guitar, Music Composition, Arrangement
- Koshi Inaba: Vocals, Lyric Composition, Arrangement
- Hideyuki Terachi: Arrangement